My Favorite Moment

Cole Porter's PianoSo there’s this piano… it belonged to Cole Porter.
He wrote many of his finest songs and shows on this piano, including ‘Kiss Me Kate,’ when he lived at the Waldorf-Astoria in the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s. I wanted to propose to Kate, and I really really wanted it to be on this piano. A few weeks ago I sent out an e-mail to the Waldorf explaining that I’m a professional pianist in the Albany area and I would like to play and sing a song on Cole Porter’s piano to propose to my soon-to-be fiancee. After a few days without a reply I became anxious – so I called them. I was transferred to someone high up in the chain of command and left a lengthy message re-explaining everything in the e-mail. The next day he called me back and left a message. It went a something like this:

“Unfortunately NO ONE is allowed to play that piano. Sorry, I understand the circumstances, but nobody is allowed to play that piano. You can call me if you want, but we never give anyone permission to utilize that piano.”

Well…. crap

There must have been someone else at the hotel who could help me. So I called back and ended up talking to someone who was much more helpful. He talked to a few people while I was on hold, all the while being taunted by the romantic piano music. Eventually he came back on the line to apologize and explain that nobody is allowed to play the piano anymore. He said he’d been working at the hotel for about 3 years, and that nobody has played it in that time. They tune the piano and keep it locked up, he told me, but since it’s so old (1907) they’re preserving it. He generously offered the use of a grand piano on the 31st floor ballroom, but that just wouldn’t the same.

Dejected and frustrated I said a prayer and then went to one of the best places I could think to go in my time of deepest need: Google. I checked out the history of the piano and found the two most recent artists to play the piano before it was retired. I wrote both of them an e-mail explaining my hopes for proposing to Kate, but also how much resistance I had gotten from the hotel. If anyone knew who to talk to or how to make this happen, it would be one of them. One of the women, Karen Egert, wrote back later that day. “That is a very endearing thing you would like to do,” she wrote, “unfortunately, I myself would probably have no better luck than you.” She went on to advise that I appeal to the sentimental side of the hotel, tell them I want to make the Waldorf a part of this special moment, and butter them up as much as possible. I liked the sentimental approach more than the butter, so I started to form a plan to call the hotel again.

I know I should have had a Plan B – I really do – but nothing else seemed right. I wanted to play “So In Love” from Kiss Me Kate on the piano Cole Porter wrote the song on. Once you have a plan like that, nothing else seems right. The setbacks up to this point had been pretty staggering, and I honestly didn’t know what I would say when I called the hotel back. You can’t really plan something from the heart, I guess, so I kept praying and waited a day to let everything sink in before calling.
Two days passed… and then I received the most important e-mail of my life:

Good Afternoon Mr. Meredith,

Thank you for your email. Typically we require a certificate of insurance for anyone to play the Cole Porter Piano as it is an incredibly important historical piece. However, we were able to get approval from our Hotel Manager, Diarmuid Dwyer for you to play the piano for this special occasion. Please let our beverage managers know when you will be coming as they will need to unlock the piano.

Thank You and Best of Luck,

Carmen Garzona

Hospitality Sales Manager – Waldorf-Astoria

Amazing… I’ll never know why they eventually said yes. Maybe the right person was in the right mood at the right time, or maybe there was a little divine intervention. Either way, I read that e-mail about five times before I believed it. Once it sunk in that my dream proposal was going to happen, I became overwhelmed with anxious excitement. This was really happening. I e-mailed my family to tell them the good news and then wrote back to the Waldorf. “I cannot express how joyful and ecstatic your approval has made me,” I wrote. “Your generosity will forever be a part of this incredible moment for me and my fiancee-to-be.” And that’s true. That one simple ‘yes’ after a series of ‘no’s is almost my favorite part of the story. Almost.

On June 13th we rode a bus down to New York, along with my mom, Kate’s sister Sarah, and Aaron and Sarah Clermont. We got off at Bryant park and walked over to the hotel. The excuse for going to the hotel was to see Cole Porter’s piano. Now, Kate has spent hours -literally hours – in museums waiting for me to stop staring at old instruments, so this was a completely rational reason to go to the Waldorf-Astoria. Apparently June 13th 2010 was Puerto Rico Day in Manhattan, complete with a loud parade, cars with shiny rims and very unsafe suspensions, interesting pedestrians, and a strong police presence. The six of us made our way through the teeming flag-waving crowds to the peaceful and extravagant Park St. entrance of the Waldorf. I had called the hotel on Saturday to verify that they were prepared for me to come and that everything would go according to plan. They assured me the piano would be unlocked and ready to go. We looked around and spotted the piano on a terrace right above the entrance. Everyone did a great job of concealing their excitement as we climbed up the stairs to the piano. Kate and I went over and looked at it. After the fact Kate told me when she saw the piano she thought, “Great. An old piano. Let’s go.” The engraved sign on the music holder read, “We kindly ask that you refrain from playing this piano and we thank you for helping us preserve this unique piece of the Cole Porter Legacy.”

When I sat down at the piano my heart began pounding. I asked Sarah to take a picture of me and Kate by the piano. As she started filming, I went to open the lid. Kate had noticed the sign and her hand shot out to stop me. “Don’t…no don’t play it.” Then I played it. She started looking around to see if anyone was coming to arrest or taser us. She reached over again and and asked me to stop playing. “It’s OK,” I told her as she looked to our family and friends that were with us. Her sister mouthed “it’s OK” and started to get choked up, and then she knew. I asked Kate if I could play her a song, but she couldn’t say anything.

As I write this I’m trying to remember every detail of the actual song. At first my main objective was to sing and play without breaking down, but when my emotions started building I lost the ability to think clearly. My most distinct memories are of looking over at Kate when I felt like crying through that ethereal tunnel vision of such life-altering moments. I had been waiting 26 years to sing that song.

I was snapped out of the love-soaked haze by applause from people who had been watching. It became rapidly apparent that I did not actually have the ring in my possession. The box for the ring was so big that I couldn’t hide it in my pocket, so I’d asked my mom to carry it in her purse. I gave Kate a quick kiss and said “I’ll be right back,” as I went over to get the ring from my teary mother. I had the whole proposal worked out in my head including what I’d say and even what knee I’d go down on. But in the rush of the moment it all left my mind, and probably for the best. You can’t really plan something from the heart, I guess. So there I was: down on one knee, diamond ring in a box, chandelier hanging in the background, Cole Porter’s piano right by my shoulder. “Please… will you marry me?” I opened the box, and when she saw the ring she took a step back and hid her face. She was going through her own crying ethereal tunnel vision, and seeing the ring brought on another wave of emotions. She managed to whisper “yes” and threw her arms around me. People started clapping and after a long moment Kate repeated her “yes” so the audience could hear. We kissed.

Apparently I missed the memo about what you do after you open the box and show the ring to the girl. I was waiting for her to take the ring and she was waiting for me to put it on her finger. I realized my mistake after a quick awkward moment and then put the ring on her finger. Fortunately, it fit perfectly. We both just stared at the ring as the magnitude of the moment started to hit us. We looked at each other, and in that one moment next to the piano with the chandelier behind us, my life changed forever.

Engaged

34 thoughts on “My Favorite Moment”

1. OH…MY…GOODNESS – What a wonderful and romantic experience – congratulations and i will now wipe the tears from my eyes!

2. This is absolutely amazing Jon. I am so proud to know the person who proposed in the most romantic way ever. Be happy Jon and Kate

3. Wow! I had to search for some tissues before finishing it! I felt like I was reading a Nicholas Sparks book…. That is such a beautiful story…so happy for you and your Kate! 🙂

4. Oh my God! I thought Robert Wagner did well, you’ve outdone him! What a romantic, and such a good writer! Congratulations! Best wishes forever and ever!

5. Wow, this could be a great movie! I hope your life together will be filled with all the magic this world has to offer.

6. The depth of your writing and the emotion you brought to the screen through the video had the tears running down my cheeks as if I was in the room with you and your family. Congratulations to you and Kate. May you continue with a lifetime of special memories.

7. You would be an impossible act to follow… this will be the greatest adventure of your life, and apparently it is off to a good start!
    Congratulations!

8. Congratulations to the future Mr. and Mrs. Meredith. Thanks for sharing the event and your thoughts surrounding it.
    Love,
    The Jaggers Family

9. Jon – Congratulations!!! What an absolutely wonderful story. I wish you and Kate nothing but the best.

10. You’ve created a wonderful memory for so many people, but most of all for you and your future wife.

11. Congratulations to you and Kate! Your telling of the story was a wonderful moment, too. Thanks for sharing it with us. I am so glad you two are together at last.

12. Congratulations to both you and Kate. My family is so excited for the both of you. Thank you for sharing your special moment with all of us!! We are looking forward to the wedding.

13. Wow, Mr. M, this just about made me cry. A beautiful story for a beautiful moment. Congratulations to you and Kate! (ps. we all knew you two were together/would wind up together)

14. Oh my gosh! Where are the tissues? That was so romantic and so filled with your love for her. What a great love story! What a great voice! And this is only the beginning of your journey together! My very best wishes to you. God Bless

15. Ohhh…very overwhelmed with emotions!! What a beautiful proposal and history behind it. So HaPpY for you both! I can’t imagine how many more tears will fall when I can actually HEAR the video!-(in my office on a horrible computer with no speakers) Again, CONGRATS & BEST WISHES!!

16. OMG, Mr. Meredith, I’ve read this story three times already and I still get choked up. Such a romantic way to propose to Kate! I adore you both and I wish you guys the best <3

17. Great work, J J! We are proud of you and are sure that you and Kate will have a happy marriage. Love, Grandma’ and Grandpapa’

18. oh my gosh mr. meredith! congrats!! i am soo happy!! From the time i met kate last year i always like hoped that you two would end up together, that was such a cute way of proposing!! yay.

(and im really happy you got to play the piano, i know that meant alot to you as well =])

19. Mr. Meredith, thank you for sharing your beautiful story.

I am close to Cole Porter’s family and would love to correspond with you.

Thanks again.

Arletta

20. What a beautiful way to begin your story together….. I wish you all the best!

21. That was absolutely beautiful. It is nice to know that true romance is alive and well. It gives the rest of us hope. I wish you a lifetime of love and happiness.

Pam Germain-Asam

22. Mr. Meridith, that was amazing!

and congrats to both of you, you two are going to be so happy with each other!

-James

23. So since you sent this email I figured I would respond. The story was well told in Chorus but it’s even better on computer. You guys are great Yea! I know how much playing that piano meant to you so Kate must mean a lot for you to ever stop playing it :)by the way… you guys are going to be Jon and Kate that is just funny! no reality tv shows for you! can’t wait for next years musical when you guys will be together! You guys are perfect for eachother!

24. I loved every part of the entire romantic story and especially the melodious singing while Kate took it all in.
    Karen Mariano(Jonathan’s mom)

25. So beautiful Jon! Much happiness for your life together! (now, how are you going to top this?????) 😀

26. I did hear about the wonderful news from a few of the girls from mixed chorus the friday or monday before school ended, I was so happy and didn’t get the chance to congradulate you in person. Reading this was so amazing and that is truely and incredible and perfect story. I wish you both complete happiness!

27. This story is so perfect and extremely romantic. I’m happy for both of you, and wish you nothing but the best.
    Congratulations on your engagement…. and on playing on Cole Porter’s piano.

28. Congrats Mr. Meredith, and Kate. The song was great. I’m still wondering how you warm up before you do something like that though? 😛

29. Just as people said, “life is like a book, how would you like to write, it’s what kind of guide. So our personal attitude determines life. Certainly, we should really go through alot more meaningful publication, it can give us inspiration.

30. What a great story.

I was going to propose to my sweetheart with a song I wrote for her, but she left me heartbroken without a word, before I could ever play it for her.

I did learn a lesson, though: Carpe Diem!

Good on you for pressing through.

31. Wow,,,,that was really beautiful! I just came across this now . I was emailed by you asking for my help in getting management to let you play as I had the honor of playing on Cole Porters piano myself when I performed at the Waldorf for many years.I hope my words gave you the encouragement you needed to pursue this because this was truly a dream come true not only for you but for all who shared in your very sweet, tender and really beautiful performance . Not only is the thought and idea so sincere but Cole Porter I’m sure was listening and thrilled that someone of your talent and genuiness brought his music to life in precisely the way he meant that magnificent song to be sung.
    I was so very touched by your sincere,heartfelt and excellent performance.
    You made my day ……..simply magnificent
    How lovely karen egert